When I’m craving Mexican food, but I want something healthy this is my go-to recipe, modified from Danielle Walker’s book, Against All Grain. As I avoid dairy, grains, and legumes, dining out at a Mexican restaurant is a thing of the past, yet this creamy chowder gives me the spice and flavor I’m looking for.
I love making healthy soups that provide lots of fiber, protein, and healthy carbs. Add some avocado and you’ve got the healthy fats covered and the tomatillo salsa adds a spicy flavor you’re gonna love.
Creamy Mexican Chicken Chowder Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 70 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Blender or Nutribullet
- Large stockpot
- Lime squeezer
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, bone in, trimmed of fat and skin
- 2 cups Roasted-Tomatillo Salsa (homemade or store bought)
- 4-6 cups chicken broth (homemade or store bought)
- 3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, and extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups chopped spinach
Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro and avocado slices
1. Place the chicken, salsa, broth, sweet potatoes, carrots, lime juice, garlic and salt in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour over medium-low heat.
3. Remove the chicken from the pot and using 2 forks, pull the meat away from the bones and shred it. Set aside.
4. Scoop 2 cups of vegetables from the soup and place in a blender with 1/4 cup of the broth. Puree the vegetables for 15 seconds and then incorporate back into the soup.
5. Add the chicken and spinach to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes, until the spinach is slightly wilted.
6. Serve hot garnished with sliced avocado, extra lime juice, and fresh cilantro.
Health Coach Tips
I often buy the tomatillo salsa at the store, but make sure you find a brand that using only real ingredients and doesn’t have added sugars or additives. I buy the chicken from a local farmer when I can or, if store bought, make sure you buy organic chicken with no hormones added.
And if you like FREE tips, Join My Community & Get Access to your FREE Fatigue Warrior Guide: My 5 Step Solution to Fight Adrenal Fatigue Naturally and Get Your Life Back!
Disclaimer: My blog provides general information and discussion about supplements, health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker.